Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Worried about parvo, Half bloodhound not vaccinated, Dry…

Customer Question
Worried about parvo Veterinarian's...

Worried about parvo

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Half bloodhound not vaccinated

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bloodhound?

Dry heaves

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bloodhound seem to hurt?

She does not

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Aside from the dry heaves no

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the bloodhound eating normally?

I've only had her 1 day

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the bloodhound having trouble peeing or pooing?

Her poo is solid I haven't seen her pee

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bloodhound?

Those are the only issues

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 year ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Let me give you some information on Parvo first. Symptoms of Parvo start with a refusal to eat, then progresses to vomiting even water back up, then diarrhea that smells worse than normal due to the blood and sloughing of the pups stomach lining. If your pup has these symptoms, they are serious symptoms in a young pup. Often very young pups have not developed immunity even if they has had their first vaccination. If your pup is having those types of symptoms even if it is a loss of appetite and your dog is very young, I suggest she be seen by your vet as soon as possible to check for parvovirus. If the pup just stopped eating in the last day or so, there is a good chance of survival if it is parvo and a new drug Tamiflu is administered quickly.

Tamiflu is a new treatment for parvovirus but it has to be given within the first 48 hours of the symptoms appearing (loss of appetite). With this treatment given in a timely manner, I've had 100% recovery with numerous litters and puppies having parvo. For this reason, I urge you to have the puppy seen immediately and if it is indeed parvo, ask about Tamiflu and if the doctor doesn't know about it, insist they look up the information. You can read about it here:

http://www.dalmatianrescue.org/documents/parvo.pdf

http://www.runningridgeratterriers.com/pages/Parvo_Treatments_Specifically_Tamiflu.htm

Now bloat is a condition that has dry heaves as a symptom. Bloat (Gastric Dilatation) may or may not involve stomach torsion (twisted stomach). Common symptoms are attempts to vomit (usually unsuccessful) and may continue to try to vomit, dog just doesn't seem like themselves, a hunched up posture, anxiety and restlessness, a distended stomach that is tight like a drum, gums may be dark red in early stages and white or blue in later stages. These are the most common symptoms and the list goes on.

If you believe your dog has bloat they should be seen immediately. Simethicone products like gas-x may help while you take him into the vet.

You can read more on bloat here.

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

Since you have only had her one day and she has had no vaccinations, I'd go ahead and have her seen so the vet can start her vaccination and determine why she is dry heaving or if she is coughing.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. If you expected something different from the site, please don't rate my answer lower as a result. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner