Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog accidentally ripped it's puppies tail off at birth.

Good afternoon, my dog accidentally...
Good afternoon, my dog accidentally ripped it's puppies tail off at birth. How can I prevent it from an infection??? And help maintain the puppy safe
5/22/2017
Sean Egan

Hi there, this is Dr. Sean. I just came online and see that your question has not yet been answered. I'm sorry for that. I’ll be happy to answer your question about Alejandra.

Please ignore any request for a phone call service. Those are automatically generated by the website and I can not stop that from occurring. I can answer your question in this text chat.

A pop-up screen may appear asking if you would like a phone call. Please click NO, as I cannot take phone calls.

Can you take a picture of the injury site and post it for me?

Excellent pictures, thank you. Looks like it's already trying to heal, and these young guys heal very quickly. So in order to prevent infection, an OTC cream like neopsorin or polysporin should do the job for 4-5 days until the skin heals over.

I used betadine for the first couple days. Would that be an issue?? I will go out to get some neosporin today.

Betadine is fine, cleans well and is a good antiseptic. Just messy and stains everything. Looks like it's clean now, just need some antibiotic ointment to keep it from getting infected.

I really appreciate your help today. It really lifted a lot of weight off on my shoulders.

You're very welcome I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you have any further questions, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

One quick question. What should I look out for incase of an infection on the pups tail? ? Coloring ?odors?

Usually there will be swelling under the skin and in the stump, and it will be painful to the touch. There may be pus when you press on the skin.

Sean Egan
I hope it doesn't come to that.Thank you again for your help. Have a great day.

And you as well :)

Hi Alejandra,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Alejandra E Verdugo. How is everything going?
Sean Egan
Hello Sean,
Thank you for your concern, the puppy now has a good scab on his but. There is no sigh of swelling or puss. So I believe everything is going well with him.
I appreciate your help.

Good to hear! Thanks for the update, have a great day!

Sean Egan
Sean Egan
Sean Egan