Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

5 yr old American Pitbull was diagnosed with roundworms.

Given Drontal 2 tablets 10days...
5 yr old American Pitbull was diagnosed with roundworms. Given Drontal 2 tablets 10days apart. Given Doxycycline for 28 days. Had tarry diarrhea today. What can be the cause?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Tarry like diarrhea earlier today.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: he doesnt
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: just the diarrhea. Tired but he was bathed today and normally comes back tired. Did have less of an apetite but still eating.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Oscar.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oscar?
Customer: Diagnosed with roundworms 4 weeks ago. Was given 2 doses of Drontal 10 days apart. He had a positive blood work for lyme disease last summer and did have a limp in his front led in December. I gave him glucomax because the vet thought it might have been an injury. I stopped giving him the glucomax. Then Iimp reoccurred in March. I asked the vetenarian to do a fecal test. He came back positive with roundworms. He was given Drontal for 2 weeks and then doxycycline going on to 4 weeks at the end of this week. Not sure if the vet suspects that the limp maybe had to do with lyme disease. The tarry stools started around the same time as the worms. Got better, but was present again today. He has another fecal test due this week. Also will be requesting an analysis of his urine. My dog is difficult to control at the vet and so I am wondering if there is anything else that I can request or any ideas of what it might be?
5/22/2017
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try to help you. Tarry stools are concerning because that can be a sign of GI bleeding, like from ulcers. Roundworms aren't really known to cause any intestinal bleeding, so I would think there is something else going on.

Doxycycline can be irritating to the GI tract so that could be the cause.

I would obviously recommend rechecking the fecal to make sure he is worm free. In addition, I would suggest some labwork to check his red blood cell counts and parameters - that could tell us if there is a GI bleed or not.

My guess is that your veterinarian put him on the Doxycycline because limping can be a sign of Lyme disease.

If he does have a GI bleed, we usually treat with some GI protectants called Sucralfate to coat the stomach and Pepcid to decrease acid.

I hope this helps! Please let me know how I can help further!

Dr. Snow

Sarah Snow
Thank you. My vet referred me to another who may be able to better handle my dog's behavior while visiting the office, but in the mean time he is treating him so I just want to make sure that he considers all the possibilities and I am as well informed as possible. I will be bringing his fecal sample in this week and will make sure he gets blood work done as well.

Great! Please update me and let me know if I can be of further assistance!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow