Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has arthritis and is currently on rimadyl; I am

Customer Question
My dog has arthritis...

My dog has arthritis and is currently on rimadyl; I am looking for an over the counter substitute for this issue.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

He has advanced arthritis

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

In his rear hips and legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Kooper, a labradoodle who is 12 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kooper?

All of his blood work and other exams are good - no elevated white cells, good lungs, good heart, no diabetes

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

The only over the counter pain medication you can give dogs is aspirin. The dose is 5-10 mg per pound of dog every 12 hours. You would give it instead of Rimadyl. It may not work as well as Rimadyl or it could work better. You would just have to try it out and see. You would want to give it with food to help prevent gastrointestinal upset.

It is still important to have blood work run every 6 months to check his liver and kidney function. Any of the non-steroidal medications can cause issues with long term use.

There is also a generic version of Rimadyl with the same active ingredient. The active ingredient is Caprofen. You could ask your vet the price of the Carprofen verses the price of the Rimadyl.

How does that sound? Do you have any other questions for me?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian