Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think the dog ate some chicken bones. He is trembling and

I think the dog ate some chicken bones. He is trembling and won't get up. When his tail was lifted, he cried out. How can I help him? Ridge back mix.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if bones will be able to digest that. How old is bones?
Customer: Last night, cooked.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about bones?
Customer: not.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How many chicken bones did he have?

Does he have any swellings or sores around the rectum?

Any straining to pass stool?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gums are pink. only one chicken bone is missing. Hasn't been out. Discomfort around tail to the point of yelping. No retching], gagging, drooling or vomiting or lip licking.

Thank you,

Now we need to tread with care here for your lad.

Cooked chicken bones don't usually cause major issues since they tend to be softened by stomach acid. Still given his signs, we'd be worried that we may have a gut blockage, gut damage, possible shards caught in the colon wall, or we could also have a non-related anal gland issue (as that often can appear as tail/rectal pain).

With these all in mind, we have to look at him on how to progress here. If he is very sore, we need him seen to be safe since we don't have any safe pain relief options to use (most are toxic and we cannot use Aspirin with gut and possible trauma issues). The local vet can start injectable pain relief and check for those above concerns for him.

Any delay and we can at least consider trying supportive care to ease passage of any bone material. For that, we can start feeding an easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice/pasta/boiled plain potato with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled egg, meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled. Furthermore, you can add a spoon of canned pumpkin (a good fiber source) to push the bone through the gut. As that will firm stools, it can sometimes help express anal glands at the same time. And on top of this, you can also offer cat hair ball medication or add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie lactulose, food grade mineral oil, or Miralax) to encourage the bone to slip through the GI and keep moving along.

As we do that, we do need to keep a close eye for any other signs. Further to what we are seeing, clues of gut blockage/trauma are restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If we see any of these signs, then we'd have to assume its causing issue and would want to have his vet feel his stomach +/- xray to assess where the bone is and what it is doing.

Overall, this is a tricky situation but the main decision making issue for us is his pain. If he is severely sore, we need him seen for dog safe pain relief. Otherwise, we could try the above but we just don't want him suffering over the weekend here if we can avoid that.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )