Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 10 pounds Yorkie poo. He seems to be very

Customer Question
I have a 10...

I have a 10 pounds Yorkie poo. He seems to be very constipated but we don't have the money to take him to the vet. How can I help him immediately

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Smokey...He is 3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Smokey?

He lives outside. He is between 10 and 15 pounds

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long since he had a bowel movement?

2- Is he eating and drinking?

3- Is he trying to go?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has been a few days since he has had a bowel movement. At this point he is not eating or drinking. He has been trying to go but with no luck

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

The key to constipation is adequate hydration. This is what you can do:

1- Get him to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.

2- Add 1-2 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to his food.

3- As a stool softener, you can give him a 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.

4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.

5- If he does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above I would have seen by a veterinarian. If cost is a concerned look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian