Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog seems to keep having an upset stomach a couple weeks

Hi, my dog seems to...
Hi, my dog seems to keep having an upset stomach a couple weeks or so. It started about 2 months ago after his rabies & distemper shots. We also changed his food at the same time & thought it was a lot at once. He got through it with Chicken & rice but yesterday started seeming to not feel well again. He couldn't get comfortable sleeping & was up & down from the bed to the couch. I took him out at 5am where his pooped, peed ate grass & threw up. I gave him a little plain yogurt and was going to feed him chicken & rice again. Before I got that far, he threw up water & grass twice. Then a third time. He's thirsty & cant get comfortable. Doesn't want to eat though. His stomach doesn't look bloated. I'm not sure if I should take him to the emergency vet or not as my vet is closed today.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He just finished his lymes shots last week. He had 1, then we went back 2 weeks later for the second round. That was last Friday.
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/18/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

I haven't really let him have more water since he threw it up like a human would. His gums are pink and moist. Seems regular to me. He doesn't cry when I lightly press his belly. He just keeps getting up & down, going inside then outside. And he wants to drink.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to see that he hasn't any of those urgent signs I asked about. In that case, we can try some supportive care to see if we can soothe his gut. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first, you can offer water in sips or as ice cubes to let him have some without overdrinking and vomiting more), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, we'd want to start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. What you noted is fine, else you can use pasta or boiled potato in place of the rice and other protein sources we often use include boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). So, those are options to consider if you think he could have any sensitivity to the other diet. As well, instead of yogurt, consider using a dog specific OTC probiotic (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) for him.

Otherwise, while we would hope to get him more settled just now with the above, these relapses are a concern. They raise worries of possible chronic bacterial gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, stomach ulcers,Helicobacter gastritis, parasites/protozoa infections, or would make us concerned that he has a habit of picking up things and challenging his immune system. and I'd note some of those initial ones I noted can make them feel restless and uncomfortable in their bellies. So, while we can use the above overnight to try to settle him; we'd want to have these concerns checked for by his vet because if we can get to root of this now, we'd hope to stop these flare ups for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

I gave him a tiny bit of water and he threw up about the size of a quarter about a minute after. He keeps wanting more water but I'm not giving it to him. He just jumped up on the couch to lay down & he got back down again. He can't seem to stay in one spot for more then a minute or so.

Poor lad,

In that case given him an hour break, start an antacid, and then see if he can keep everything down. Else we may need him seen urgently so that they can bypass his mouth and treat with an injectable anti-vomiting medication to soothe his poor stomach.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian