Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is currently "urinating" uncontrollably but the

Customer Question
liquid is usually clear. She...
My dog is currently "urinating" uncontrollably but the liquid is usually clear. She has been in diapers for months now because of it but sometimes she goes through a diaper before I can get home from work. She seems fine in every other way. I'm not sure what to do. Previous vets have given me the run around ordering test and giving medicine for bacteria but I feel that they are just running me up on bills and not providing an answer
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: Not sure if you saw this message i typed above your question
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She hasn't expressed any pain.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sahdow 13 Shadow
JA: How old is Shadow?
Customer: 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?
Customer: Just that she had bacteria and gave me antibiotics which didn't help and then they said they had to run blood test but after spending hundreds on previous test with them I didn't feel comfortable dealing with that vet anymore
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 8 months ago
Sheena Christensen

Hi there, I am Dr. Christensen. It sounds like Shadow is urinating in the house? Are there any other symptoms like increased thirst, decreased appetite, increased appetite, etc?

No she seems fine with food and water. And the pee leaking is almost always clear.
Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 8 months ago

When she has these accidents, is she actively urinating. Meaning is she squatting to go? Or is it happening when she is asleep or awake, but seems unaware that she is urinating?

She seems vaguely unaware asleep or awake and she goes outside frequently. Sometimes she is dripping when standing.
Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 8 months ago

Based on the description it sounds a lot like incontinence. This means that her sphincter is no longer working correctly and urine is dribbling out beyond her control. It would make sense that antibiotics would not help this time of problem as it is not a bacterial issue, different from a urinary tract infection. You veterinar***** *****kely wants to run blood work to rule out diabetes and kidney issues. Which is very important, obviously if Shadow has one of these issues you would want to know.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 8 months ago

Urinary incontinence can be treated with a daily medication. You will have to talk to your veterinarian to get a prescription for the medication. If you are able to do bloodwork, I would advise a chemistry panel (this is the type of bloodwork). This single panel can rule out diabetes and kidney issues so that you can safely put Shadow on meds for incontinence without worrying about there being any other diseases that are causing the issue.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 8 months ago

I hope that was helpful.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you have any other questions?

Thank you. I will book an appointment with a new vet to focus on incontinence and go with the testing you suggest if necessary.
Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 8 months ago

I am very happy I could help you and Shadow. I hope all goes well. If you have no further questions, I would greatly appreciate if you would take a moment to rate my service. Thank you and best wishes to you and Shadow.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 8 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen