Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a swollen ja. I believe it may be an ulcerated

Customer Question

My dog has a swollen ja. I believe it may be an ulcerated tooth. Is there something I can do to help her. I am on a fixed income and cannot afford vet care on a regular basis. She has been a good companion to me for 12 years. She is asheltie
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: sadie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about sadie?
Customer: no this is her first health problem. I am not sure what is safe to help her. she does not seem to be in a lot of pain but then she never complains about anything
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sadie. Can you upload a photo(s) of this area to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. As for analgesia, you’re necessarily constrained to either aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight (22 mg per kg of body weight) with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen (Tylenol, e.g.) dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight (15 mg per kg of body weight) thrice daily. Acetaminophen isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin, however. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?