Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

She has piercing pains a few times during the day and night.

She has piercing pains a few times during the day and night. No apparent cause. She yelps one to several times and gets up and moves around and then seems to be okay. Been happening for about five days
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Heidi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Heidi?
Customer: She weighs about 22-25 pounds and is nine years old

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about Heidi's pain. What breed of dog is she? In my experience, when dogs cry out in pain and moves about to get comfortable it is often due to neck or back pain. Certain breeds are more prone to this.

Back pain can be hard to detect; sometimes you can feel some muscle tension along the spine but often we just try pain medication and rest and see if that helps. The best pain medications are by prescription such as nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs, tramadol, and gabapentin. You need to see a veterinarian to get these.

You could try aspirin; how much does she weigh and is she eating? You can give one low dose aspirin per 15 to 20 pounds once to twice daily with food. Do not give ibuprofen or Aleve to a dog. If she vomits, do not repeT the aspirin. Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She's a rescue, mix beagle and? Weighs 22-25 pounds, nine years old. She is eating
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She seems normal. Jumped up on couch last night
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Eager to go on our hour long walk each morning
The best way to find out where she hurts would be an exam by your veterinarian. You can try a baby aspirin twice daily and see if it makes a difference
Beagles are a breed prone to back pain
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks
You are welcome. Please let me know how she is doing