Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

What can i help my puppy if she vomiting? barely eating

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: yes what can i help my puppy if she vomiting ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your puppy eat anything unusual?
Customer: barely eating anything ER would be really expensive cus i don't have membership will take her clinic tomorrow but something i can give her will help ?
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. No, you can ask a one off question to try things out.
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: anything temporary i can give her ?
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about bella?
Customer: from past 2 days she might have throw up twice and sleeping
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How old is your puppy?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- How often is she vomiting?

4- How long since the last time she vomited?

5- Did she get into anything?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
puppy is 1 yr old. She weight close to 6lbs estimate. she beens vomiting 3 days in a row and probably 2-3 times. And been really tired and sleepy most of the time. What can be done now?

1- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

2- How long since the last time she vomited?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
afternoon. its hard to open her mouth now .

Will you be able to give her a pill orally?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
yup which one?
I give her half pepcid hour a hour ago. Let me know which one can help me.
Thanks

How many milligrams was the pepcid ac?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i believe its 320 mg calcium and 70 mg magnesium. I was recommended by doctor when she was sick. now if you help me what should i do in this scenario?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
her urine is dark yellow and smells lot. Wanna let you know that too

Friend, we need to remember that vomiting is not a disease but a symptom of problems in the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. It is a bit of a concerned that she has been vomiting for 3 days; I am concerned about her hydration. In this case, I would strongly recommend having her checked in the morning by your vet for a hands-on examination and to start her on IV fluids. In addition, run some testing to determine the cause of the vomiting. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, continue to give her water. Leave her without food for 8-12 hours then offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for several days then wean her into her regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter