Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He is breathing heavy and unable to move his legs, I will

Hello....he is breathing heavy and...
Hello....he is breathing heavy and unable to move his legs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I will have him check
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Henry 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Henry?
Customer: small breed
5/17/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- What breed is Henry?

3- Is he able to stand?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

It has happened once before. He is a Chihuahua. Legs seem paralyzed...like he is having a seizure

1- Is he alert and responsive?

2- Is he up and walking now?

He is responding, but having a hard time coming out of his legs being stiff and breathing heavy

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, based on history it does sound like he had a seizure if this is similar to what happened before. However, it is also possible that what is happening now may be a completely different problem like a bulging disc that prolapsed and is putting pressure on the spinal cord interfering with the motor function to the back legs. Unfortunately, on history only it will not be possible for me to determine if that was a seizure or a neurological problem like a bulging disc, I am sorry. I would recommend having him checked by the nearest ER veterinarian for a hands-on examination. It is important to rule out a bulging disc; if he has a bulging disc and goes untreated he may not regain the function of his legs. For this reason, it is important to have him checked tonight by ER veterinarian. I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Thank you so much

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian