Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

I have a 14 year old mini poodle and I think she's having

I have a 14 year old mini poodle and I think she's having muscle spasms or cramps. She'll be ok most of the day but occasionally she'll scream out in pain and hold her left arm straight. Can I give her something for pain or what should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: Nikki
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nikki?
Customer: No. Nothing medical. She hasn't been hurt that I know of. She avoids playing with my other dogs because they can be rough with her.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok

I am so very sorry to hear about your little Nikki. My primary concern is an injury to the neck, not necessarily doing something like jumping off the furniture and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy. When she moves a certain way or lays in a position it likely causes her pain and extension of her leg provides some relief.

Here is more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd-–-cervical-area

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the shoulders/ neck in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

The only safe pain medications over the counter for dogs is aspirin. An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food

Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.

Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use. I would definitely advise not treating with aspirin at her age and a veterinary evaluation instead because they can dispense safer medication for her to control her pain with less potential side effects

You can also do light circular massage up and down the neck to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs / shoulders and the associated discomfort because they too will cry out if picked up a certain way due to back pain.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you I'll try the aspirin and the warm compresses. She doesn't jump on furniture anymore. I pick her up to put her on the bed and I carry her out side.

Again aspirin is not my recommendation but if you are going to do something over the counter I would prefer it to be something safer than others

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. I honestly don't want to give her any medications. I would prefer to do something less invasive

Well the warm compresses and massage can be helpful but if we want to avoid medication and get her better then acupuncture +/- laser (light) therapy is a good idea

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Sounds good. I'll start with the massages and warm compresses. Thank you for the advice.

You are very welcome, best of luck to you and you beloved senior friend