Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I'm dog sitting and for got my friends dog bed for pain.. Is

Hi JA: Hi. How can we...
Hi
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I'm dog sitting and for got my friends dog bed for pain.. Is there something I can give her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cody 16
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cody?
Customer: Old age.. Legs shake
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No woulds.. Joints hurt
5/16/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

To make sure I got this right, you forgot her pain meds and would like to know what you can give her for pain, correct?

Cody probably weigh 3in small dog. Vet proscribed dog aspirin for joint pain for old age.

There are different medication that are called dog aspirin. Do you know the name of the medication?

Ibprophin

Ibuprofen?

Cody weighs between 2 to 4 lbs

Was she on Ibuprofen?

cody is on that but I forgot it at when I picked him up
Ibuprofen for arthritis legs are shaking from pain I assume.. Vet proscribed that to him.

Please give me 5 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Ok

Friend, if she has been on a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen there is nothing over the counter that can be given to her, I am sorry. You see, most of the pain medication over the counter are toxic to dogs. We can sometimes use Buffered Aspirin for a short period. But, if she has been on Ibuprofen-like medication it is contraindicated to give Aspirin without first waiting several days for the Ibuprofen to get out of her body. So, you will need to get her meds or go to the nearest veterinarian to pick up another prescription medication, I am really sorry. I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

OK thx.. I guess cody just have to wait till he gets home for his meds..

I am sorry, but, that is the safest option. You can try putting warm compresses on her legs, this can help alleviate the discomfort associated with inflammation from arthritis.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian