Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a one year old labrador, has been pheasant hunting

Customer Question

I have a one year old labrador, has been pheasant hunting several times now. On 1-2 occasions after about 2-2 hours of hunting her back legs collapse. Within 15 minutes of so she is perfectly fine. I am trying to figure out if this is EIC or hypoglycemia. We took her to the vet and he seems to think it is EIC but from what I am reading that can
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: happen in 5-10 minutes, which has never happened
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: no wounds
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Riley
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Hypoglycemia is quite rare in a one year old. Riley's too old to consider juvenile hypoglyemia and not old enough to consider a pancreatic tumor that is secreting insulin. By the principle of Occam's Razor, Riley suffers from exercise-induced collapse in Labrador retrievers. Please have him tested for the dynamin-1 gene mutation which causes this collapse. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.