Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She had puppes on the 13 and is having diarrhea, german

Customer Question
she had puppes on the...
she had puppes on the 13 and is having diarrhea
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: german shep, she had 4 puppies
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the puppy?
Customer: the puppies seem fine it is the mother dog with the diarrhea
JA: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: she does not seem to be in pain, just having diarrhea 4 times a day
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Maggie Mo Ho
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ho?
Customer: She is very high strung and hard to slow down, a bit of after birth with peeing
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 6 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is not unusual for a dog to have a bit of diarrhea for a few days after giving birth. She likely ate the afterbirths and a lot of other fluids during the delivery. The ingestion of unusual things by dogs causes diarrhea. In addition, during pregnancy, the changes in hormones trigger parasite eggs to hatch meaning most dogs who whelp have worms. worms can cause diarrhea as well.

Now a female also has bleeding for up to 5 weeks after delivery. Normally it is pretty red the first few days to a week and then starts to switch to a tan color before the discharge stops completely. You shouldn't be seeing any real solid matter being discharged. Now there are things you need to watch for after a dog delivers.

Here are some things you should look for. If your dog has intense abdominal pain, pale gums and tongue, sudden drop in temperature or collapse she needs to be seen as soon as possible as she may have uterine torsion.

If your dog has a Green, smelly discharge from her vulva, fever, loss of appetite and listlessness, it is possible she has a uterine infection due to bacteria or a retained placenta and needs to be seen immediately. It is likely she has metritis which is a uterine infection.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/metritis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If your dog is experiences muscle weakness, muscle spasms, tremors or seizures, limb paralyses, she needs to be seen now as it is possible she has eclampsia. Calcium supplements, Tums, cottage cheese or goat’s milk may help, but it might not reverse the symptoms quickly enough.

Here is a site with more information on this.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/eclampsia-in-dogs

Look for breast infections on a regular basis. If a breast becomes inflamed, red and hard to the touch, your dog will need to be seen by your vet. Keep puppy nails trimmed to help prevent mastitis.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. If you expected something different from the site, please don't rate my answer lower as a result. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner