Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Last night we took our dog to the vet with what we think is

Hello. last night we took...
Hello. last night we took our dog to the vet with what we think is a pinched nerve in his neck. it happened when we grapped him by the scruff of his neck to stop him from going after a bird that got in the house. he wasn't wearing a collar at the time and we held on to him for 5 minutes of so and i guess that's all it took to cause some sort of damage. by the end of the day we noticed that we couldn't pet him on the head AT ALL without him whimpering in pain. the doctor gave him several shots (antibiotics, pain, steroids) and sent him home with a week's supply of prednisone (5mg) and tramadol (50mg). he seems better but i am just wondering if there is something i can do to make him more comfortable. his head is still extremely tender. can i put a hot or cold compress on it? thank you. pat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is 6 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about augie?
Customer: he is a rescue, so we're not quite sure of his breed, but he is some mixture of mastiff, german shepard, great dane and lab. he is a strong dog and weighs about 73lbs. he also has a pretty good case of anxiety. :(
5/16/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How many milligrams total of Tramadol and Prednisone are you giving and how often?

prednisone and tramadol are given twice a day

How many milligrams just 50 and 5?

total it would be 100mg of the tramadol and 10 of the prednisone.

To make sure I got this right, he is taking 100mg of Tramadol and 10mg of Prednisone twice a day, correct?

no, he's taking that amout total. 50 of the tramadol 2x and 5 of the prednisone 2x.

Thank you for the clarification. Please give me 5 minutes to type your answer.

no problem

Pat, in response to your question, yes, you can apply gently warm compresses 5 minutes on his neck 3-4 times a day; this will help if he has a pulled muscle. I would also phone your vet and discuss with your vet about increasing the both medications to 100mg Tramadol and 10mg Prednisone twice a day. Currently, the dose that he is on is very conservative. I think you will see a quicker improvement with these medications if they increase the dose.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

that sounds great. thanks very much. i just feel like he's not getting enough relief. :)

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian