Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is getting over gastritis, at the end of the course

Customer Question

My dog is getting over gastritis, at the end of the course we have frd him his dog food with a little extra chick and the broth. He was tol this for second day. No vomiting or diarrhea. Third morning he wike up and vomited what he ate 14 hours earlier.
He just completed the probiotics and the flagyl day prior to vomiting. He is drinking water but no appetite.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if he is vomiting after that treatment, it does raise concerns that the gastritis hasn't fully settled. Therefore, you may need to ring his vet about continuing treatment for longer or have his vet checking (ie bloods, xrays, etc) that there is nothing more present like a pancreatitis, foreign body or underlying systemic issue (ie kidney or liver disease). That said, for the moment, we may need to put him back onto a light diet (the chicken/broth) but can try to soothe his stomach with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any other medications you haven't mentioned (what you noted is fine). Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication and again have him reassessed by his vet for risk of relapse here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )