Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I was looking at HardyPet Skin for my dog and wondering

Customer Question

I was looking at HardyPet Skin for my dog and wondering about the reviews I've taken him to the vet 3 times in the past 4 months. He has had terrible itchy skin, licking himself bald spots on various locations on his back and chest. Initially my vet put him on a steroid which cleared up the itching and scabs within a week and it came back. He does not have fleas, and she said there is nothing "medical" she could give him for the itchiness, but directed me to give him Zyrtec 3 times a day and supplement his food with a fatty oil on top. Nothing has seemed to work and he is getting worse. I almost believe he is allergic to pollen from grass, as he used to want to constantly be outside and now he can't wait to come back in.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Finnegan
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Finnegan?
Customer: He's a 4 year old Anatolian Shepherd
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Finnegan being so itchy. These shampoos look good; oatmeal based shampoos can be helpful for itching.

There are some new treatments for allergies you can get from your veterinarian. One is Apoquel, which seems to help about 80% of allergic dogs with the itching and skin problems caused by allergies. The newest is an injection that can last a month or longer, called Cytopoint.

If the Zyrtec is not controlling his itching, I would next try one of these. Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response. Please let me know how Finnegan is doing, if my answer was helpful and if I can answer any other of your questions.