Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

About Luxating Patella. my friends dog chelsea has been

Customer Question

About Luxating Patella. Hi, my friends dog chelsea has been diagnosed with luxating patella. She has been limping on her right back feet a few weeks ago, and after going to vets and given medicines her back right feet seems okay but last week her back left feet seems to be having problem instead.All these times she seems to be in pain. Yesterday her back left suddenly becomes okay and she can walk . Doctors suggest operation but my friend is worried. So would like to ask about the condition.Is operation necessary for luxating patella? What are the risk of operation or how complicated is the procedure? The vet i go to seems not to be confident in doing the operation (we live in indonesia, and vets arent too highly skilled here). How dangerous is the operation? And is there alternative treatmens? What would you recommend we do?Thanks,Randy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Hi Randy. Did you not see my answer to your last question?

It depends on how bad the luxating patellas are. They are usually graded as 1,2, or 3 depending on how far they luxate and how shallow the groove the patella normally sits in is. Grade one does not need surgery, grade 3 will be pretty lame unless surgery is done.

You should find a surgery specialist who has done many of these. I would not have an inexperienced surgeon do the surgery. In the hands of an experienced specialist, the outcome with surgery is usually good.

Alternative treatment to surgery is keeping the dog thin and light, pain medications, and joint supplements.

I would recommend (if you can) finding someone who has done many of these before, and finding out from that person if this is grade 1, 2 or 3.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.
Hi Randy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chelsea. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you! I hope this dog is doing better.