Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My mini shar pei ate a rock bigger than a quarter. dog -

My mini shar pei ate...
My mini shar pei ate a rock bigger than a quarter.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: dog - mini chinese share pei
JA: OK. Welcome! How can I help with your dog?
Customer: He ate a rock a little bigger than a quarter.
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Hoss
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hoss?
Customer: no he is running around playing like nothing happened. This was appx 20 minutes ago
5/16/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Unfortunately this is a potential foreign body obstruction so I would advise inducing vomiting. Since your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting then you can consider a veterinary er to use stronger medication to induce vomiting or there are a few precautions we can take to hopefully minimize the risk of obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting without production of the rock please have a veterinarian evaluate your dog.

- Feed 2-3 pieces of bread now (again if no vomiting above)

- Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion of at least 15+ minutes

- In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through

- Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

- Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own if there is no initial vomiting with the peroxide.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian