Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

How many mgs of augmentin can I give my dog of 25 kg, She

How many mgs of augmentin...
How many mgs of augmentin can I give my dog of 25 kg
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: She has swelling on her face below ear and into muzzle
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Piper and is 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Piper?
Customer: No she's been healthy
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/15/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

Unfortunately, my state board prohibits phone conversations but if this format is acceptable to you, I can answer your question. Is this format acceptable for you?

If so, what milligram size of Augmentin do you have?

How long has Piper's face been swollen?

Deb

this format fine. It's been swollen a week now, I have 6 875mg tablets
Did you get the photo I tried to send?
Are you still there?

I'm so terribly sorry that I was off my computer when you responded back.

Unfortunately, I didn't receive any photo but I'd appreciate it you'd try again. The following link walks you through the process:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

If you're online and receive this email, please give me a few minutes to calculate the dose for Piper. Thanks, Deb

To answer your question about Augmentin, the dose for a 25 kg dog would be 1/2 of a 875 mg tablet twice a day, to be given with food to avoid stomach upset.

Most dogs tolerate this antibiotic just fine although gi upset can be seen for some; giving it with food often decreases the likelihood of any adverse reaction.

It's certainly possible that Piper has an infection in which case, Augmentin is a reasonable antibiotic choice since it has a decent spectrum of activity. It's also possible that she has an anaphylactic reaction to something such as a spider bite or insect sting. If you think this might be a possibility, then Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) can be given with the dose 50 mg twice a day. Sedation can be seen as a side effect, though, so I wouldn't want you to think she was worsening if she does become somewhat drowsy.

I'll await the picture if you're successful in resending it and modify my response, if necessary. Deb

Thanks for your perseverance since it came through just fine.

I would agree that this looks more consistent with an infection than an anaphylactic reaction but to cover both possibilities, I might give both Benadryl as well as Augmentin. There won't be any harm in doing so.

Deb

Thank you! How many days of antibiotics?

I typically treat infections for 7-10 days but if you only have 6 tablets, then you'll only have enough for 3 days. This may not be quite enough but I'd still give what you have.

Deb

If I see improvement maybe I can have someone call in rx

Unfortunately, since I don't have a client/doctor relationship with her (I can't physically examine her in other words), I won't be able to do this. It would be illegal for me to do so:( But, perhaps you could persuade your vet to do it. Deb

I understand, her vet can

Good; I'm glad to hear it:)

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian