Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Locum Veterinarian at Self
28121390

My dog has been on antibiotics for the past 5 days along

My dog has been on antibiotics for the past 5 days along with other meds to clear the mucous and allow her to breathe better but she's not getting any better. The X-Ray showed that she had a lot of mucous in her chest and my vet says its normal for her to be panting and that recovery will take some time... I am a bit worried because even though she eats well she's not comfortable at all with her breathing and barely does any activity besides wanting to go for a short walk to urinate and poop or go to her water bowl. She tends to be ok during the day but gets much worse at night... All her meds are taken through injections.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: A wound on the foot??
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: no

Hi! This is Dr. Beatty. I am reading through your notes about your dog. Give me just a minute and I will try to assist you. What is your dog's name?

I understand that your dog has been on some antibiotics for a respiratory issue and that she is not seeming to improve as well as you would expect. She is eating well but does not have a lot of energy. She seems worse at night. She is receiving all her medications by injection.

What kind of dog is she? How old is she? Did your vet tell you what the diagnosis was for her problem? Is she getting her injections at home by you or at the clinic?

I know you are worried because she doesn't seem much better over the last five days. I can give you a little more specific information if you can help me out with a few of the questions I've asked above. Without any other information, my recommendation is for you to definitely call your veterinarian and let them know that you are worried about her progress. They don't know what's happening with her and they don't know how worried they are unless you let them know. As a vet I would hate to think things are going along nicely with a patient when they aren't! Our job is not only to help your pet but also to help you understand what is going on and relieve your worry when we can!! So, I would really encourage you to give your vet a call as soon as possible to let them know that you are worried.

Please let me know if you have any other follow up information or questions and I will check back in here later. If you don't have any other questions and are pleased with my answer, please click "ACCEPT" AND rate my help. This is good feedback for me and for other clients who are seeking assistance with their pets. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The dog' sname is ***** *****'s approximately 2yrs old (she's a rescue so I'm not definite about her age) she's a mixed breed. The vet knows about her slow progress he diagnosed her with bronchitis that is a bit severe. And explained that it is normal that she has difficulty breathing since her chest is closed with mucus and so it will take time. She got her first two days of injections at the clinic and the past two days at home. And today I will go visit the doctor again for a checkup on the progress and probably get another x-ray. She tends to have more issues at night panting a lot but when I wake up in the morning she's active and wants to go out to pee and poop. Once we are out she walks fast and energetic until she poops and pees and that's when she stops as if wanting to catch her breath. Once home she starts breathing heavily and lies down on her side. I live in egypt so the weather is already very warm and of course the pollution is high along with the dusty weather these days. So I'm hoping this is why after the walks she's tired. My question is when should I start seeing some progress. My vet ensures me that it's not fatal but will take some time and if she hasn't responded to the antibiotics we will need to change it.

Good morning. Thanks for updating me on Beauty. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to help Beauty get through her bout with Bronchitis. It also sounds like you and your veterinarian are watching her very closely. I am so pleased you reached out to us for some help and I am really, really pleased you are following up with your veterinarian regularly. I agree with your vet it will take some time for her to respond completely to the medcation and for this to clear up completely. What you describe sounds like really normal progress with her feeling better when she gets up and then getting easily tired on her short potty walk especially with the warm weather and poor air quality you describe. Just like people with bronchitis or pneumonia, these sick dogs like Beauty can take a while to improve and can feel really tired and worn out in the process. Just make sure her walks are short for until she is well again. If you have any other questions feel free to check in. If you can update me after her visit today.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Hilary Humm-Beatty

Thank you for your feedback. I hope Beauty is doing well!