Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 42 pound pointer that I was hunting 3 weeks ago.

Customer Question
The following day she started...
I have a 42 pound pointer that I was hunting 3 weeks ago. The following day she started to limp. she did not put wait on the rear right leg. I took her to a vet and they said no broken bones. Was not getting better and a week later took her to vet 2 that said he feels its a acl tear. Said the surgery is 2 thousand dollars. I have read articles that sometimes the surgery does not work and that some times the dog will heal on her own. I have had an acl tear myself and I understand the pain. She does not appear to be in pain. Not sure what to do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Thats what I thought at first thinking it was a thorn but no. She is not sore to the touch at all.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Brandy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brandy?
Customer: Nope. She is out of champion blood lines. Healthy.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Brandy. It's important that a vet not simply "feel" that an ACL is the issue but confirms that that's the case by detecting an anterior drawer sign, tibial thrust sign, and/or there is ample evidence of an ACL in X-rays - joint effusion, infalmmation of the ACL, and/or malpositioning of the femur in regard to the tibia. If there's a preponderance of evidence for an ACL, this is what you need to know: ~50% of small (less than 33 lb) dogs but only ~20% of larger dogs, return to full function with conservative (nonsurgical) therapy. By contrast, all of the surgical treatments have a reported success rate of ~85% for patients of all sizes. The choice of the type of surgery should be determined by the surgeon and is predicated upon the extent of damage in the stifle (knee) and the conformation of the patient. The more complicated surgeries involving bone cutting are best performed by a specialist surgeon (please see here: www.acvs.org) are will be more expensive than the simpler non-bone cutting surgeries. I can't know what you'll be charged and so always ask for a written estimate prior to anything being done.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian