Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Locum Veterinarian at Self
28121390

My 70lb pit/lab mix recently started limping. She is 7 years

My 70lb pit/lab mix recently started limping. She is 7 years old. Her limping started a few weeks ago. It's one of her back legs and she limps for a few minutes after she has been laying down but then seems to be fine. She doesn't appear to be in any pain. Yesterday it appeared worse as she wasn't bearing much weight on one of her back legs but again, it's just for a few minutes after getting up.

Hi. I am Dr. Beatty. I understand that Lola has been limping on a rear leg on and off for a few weeks. It seems to be worse right after she gets up. It also seems like it has gotten somewhat worse over the last few weeks. Do I understand correctly?

Is it always the same leg? Is everything else seem ok with Lola?

There are many different things that can cause limping on a rear leg in dogs. There can be infections, sprains, ligament tears, arthritis, and other problems that can cause limping on a rear leg. One important thing to remember is that ANY TIME a dog is limping there is likely pain. Alot of times we don't always associate the limp with pain because they seem happy and are eating and drinking and otherwise acting fine. But, a limp usually means it is painful.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Always the same leg. everything else seems fine. She is eating, sleeping, playing as usual. I also have moved her leg around, checked for bumps and squeezed from paw to hip and she doesn't complain at all.

This doesn't sound like an emergency situation but I think it would be a good idea to try to get Lola in to see her regular veterinarian in the next several days if possible. They will be able to do a good physical exam on the leg that she is limping on and assess for swelling, localize the pain, and make a recommendation of additional tests (maybe xrays) and discuss the treatment options.

It is important to know that there are not any pain relievers you have at home that are safe to give Lola! Many human pain medications can be very toxic to dogs. If you have something that was previously prescribed for pain for Lola you should check with her vet before using it again. Also, I would recommend that until you can get her checked out you restrict her to short leash walks only so that whatever the problem is does not get any worse.

Do you have any other questions that I can help you with? If so, please feel free to ask. If the assistance I have provided for you today has been helpful, I would very much appreciate you taking the time to rate me. It is great feedback for me and for other pet owners. Thanks for your time and all the best to you and Lola. Dr Beatty

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you. I'll be sure to get her to her vet soon.

Great! I'd love an update after she's seen to know how she's doing. Take care!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?
Hilary Humm-Beatty
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm having a hard time getting her an appointment to see her vet. Might be going to a new vet office soon..I started these supplements in the meantime.Extra Strength Chewable Joint Supplement For Dogs 120 Bacon Flavored Tablets with
500mg Glucosamine
400mg Chondroitin
166mg Vitamin C

That appears to be a great safe supplement. I would definitely keep trying to get in with her vet or seek out another one. This isn't really an ER type situation but it would be great to have her assessed and see if there is somehting else going on that needs to be addressed and/or if they have recommendations for additional pain relief if needed. Thanks so much for the update! Dr. Beatty

Thank you for your very positive feedback. I appreciate it! I hope that Lola is doing well. Dr. Beatty