Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Eye is red and has yellow fluid, Small terrier mix, Scrappy.

Eye is red and has...
Eye is red and has yellow fluid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Small terrier mix
JA: OK. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: Scrappy. Age 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scrappy?
Customer: No other problems.
He does have hip arthritis. He's in pain from it.
5/15/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that Scrappy has a red eye and yellow fluid coming from it. I am sorry to hear about this problem. How does the other eye look?

You may receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website, but you do not have to accept it. I am able to answer your question in this chat box if you wish.

His other eye looks fine. He also has arthritis in his hips making it difficult for him to walk.

Thank you for that information. A red eye can be caused by a few different factors. One common cause is from trauma, which can be something as light as a small particle getting into the eye. Inflammation of the conjunctiva (i.e. pink part of the eye) will result in redness and yellow discharge. In addition to trauma, other causes could include a deficient tear production, or inflammation inside the eye (i.e. uveitis). Allergies are less likely to occur in one eye, but it is possible. You could apply a human over-the-counter antihistamine eye drop to reduce inflammation, but if the problem is from a low tear production or inflammation inside the eye, then a veterinarian visit is necessary.

If the antihistamine eye drop will work, you should see an improvement within 5-6 hours. If it is still red then Scrappy should definitely have a couple preliminary eye tests performed.

Do you have any questions about that?

He's used neomycin and polymyxin eye drops before that worked for him. Can u give him a prescription? Thank you.
Unfortunately, state laws prohibit me from writing prescriptions for patients I have not physically examined. That medication may work, but it would require a prescription from a veterinarian in your area.
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
***** *****

It was a pleasure to assist you. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may select up to 5 stars when ready. I will remain available if you have any additional questions

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian