Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 7 month old male pug is constipated and I was wondering

Customer Question

my 7 month old male pug is constipated and I was wondering what to give him to help? He's not completely bowl obstructed as he's had 2 bowl movements in the last few hours but both very hard and small and he's struggling to go.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pug's name?
Customer: duke
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about duke?
Customer: not other than this is a new problem that just started yesterday evening.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your pug is having hard stools. Is there any blood in the stool? Is he eating?

You can try stool softeners such as Mira Lax (1/4th to 1/2 teaspoon twice daily). You can also try a small dose of mineral oil (1/2 teaspoon).

If he is really constipated, he may need an enema but you can't give an enema made for people, not even one for an infant. They are not safe in dogs. Your veterinarian will have a enema that is safe for a puppy so if the mineral oil and Mira Lax do not work I would take him to your vet.

Please let me know how he is doing and what other questions you have. If you are seeing blood, or if he is not eating, you might want to have your vet check him out as soon as possible.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

How is Duke doing? I have not heard back from you. Please let me know if my answer was helpful and if I can help with anything else.