Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My toy poodle just ate a whole bird. The bird was midsize.

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your toy poodle will be able to digest that. What is the toy poodle's name and age?
Customer: Sophia. Age-10 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophia?
Customer: No. She is in good health and eats well twice a day. She weighs 7 lbs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Sophia. More than likely a dog her size eating a bird isn't going to be a big issue. Dogs have over many, many, many years eaten small creatures like birds, mice, rabbits, etc... It in the past before man was involved, eating of meat in this manner was a big part of their diet. Her digestive system most likely can handle this with no issues in the sense that it will digest everything and have it pass. Could there be some stomach upset or diarrhea from it? It is a very small possibility. Could an owner induce vomiting to bring up the bird at this time? That is an option that can be done but if this was my own dog that did this, I wouldn't specifically be doing that.