Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My large golden retreiver ate a piece of choc cake from a

Customer Question
back pack. (not dark) and...
my large golden retreiver ate a piece of choc cake from a back pack. (not dark) and a bunch of cheez-itz
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lassen. 4 years, about 85 plus lbs.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lassen?
Customer: heis healthy and sleeping- ate it about 2 hours ago. We found the broken into back pack.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Hi. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. Do you happen to know about how much chocolate was swallowed and how long ago it occurred?
Also, you may receive a request for a phone call, which is automatically generated by the website. You do not have to accept it as I am able to answer your question within this text box if you wish.
Several hours maybe 1/2 cup of cake
Assuming the amount of chocolate ingested was less than 12 ounces, he should be fine and not show any signs of upset stomach. Since it has been more than 1-2 hours, it will not likely be helpful to induce vomiting. However, you may help to reduce the potential for diarrhea by giving activated charcoal, which helps to "bind up" the chocolate that is in the intestine. You can find this at a human pharmacy. Otherwise, I would recommend to feed small amounts of a bland diet (i.e. boiled chicken, rice, potatoes) for the next 2-3 days.

Do you have any more questions?

If you are satisfied with the service provided, I would appreciate a positive review. You may select up to 5 stars when ready. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian