Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog weighs 8 pounds. she has had gastric surgery and has

my dog weighs 8 pounds. she has had gastric surgery and has liver problems. She just ate about a tsp of avocado. How much danger is she in?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: just the stomach and liver problems

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

None from the avocado which isn't toxic to dogs. You'll find it in supplements and commercial diets. Persin - the toxic principle in some species of avocado is toxic to only some species of animals - cattle and birds, e.g.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh thank you for answering so quickly. I thought avocado was on the list of toxic foods for dogs. That's a relief. Thanks. I worry about everything she gets accidentally. She can only eat liver diet by hill rx food. everything else makes her sick

I understand! I would consider it a nice snack for her.

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks; I will. Have a great evening

I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is a relief to know avocado isn't toxic to dogs. I still watched her closely as she is allergic to so many things (wheat, strawberries, etc.) She has been a little more low energy in the mornings & evenings, but has not vomited and has been digesting her rx L/D food well. She almost died from liver failure at 11 months. Then at 2 years, she had surgery for a perforated ulcer in stomach and the surgeon had to remove a piece of her stomach to sew it closed. Her swallowing mechanism was damaged most likely from the intubation so I mix her food with water to the consistency of oatmeal & try not to let her eat a thing outside of that and the pumpkin-PB cookies I make for her. I was told by the vet any vomiting will always be dangerous for her because of the stomach acid/ulcer issue. She'll be 4 this November and has more joie de vivre than any dog I've ever met. Thank you following up and please let me know if you have any extra advice for maintaining her liver and stomach health.Take Care,
Michelle

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. I regret that I don't have enough information to discuss her liver and stomach care accurately for you (nor would my moderator allow me to discuss them in this conversation). Mea culpa.