Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 13 year old border collie is acting like his stomach is

Customer Question

My 13 year old border collie is acting like his stomach is cramping, he stiffens up and let's out a moaning sound. He us drinking and will eat a little. Gad A Bowl movement this morning, just wants to lay around.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the collie. What is the collie's name?
Customer: TYTUS
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about TYTUS?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Sorry no one has helped you yet. I just got online and saw your question. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. There are multiple concerns for what could be going on, all of which are potentially serious, and none of which are something that can be easily treated at home. It sounds like his abdomen is very painful. Given his age, it could be a mass in the abdomen that has just started to bleed or that he has been compensating for very well until now. It could also be pancreatitis, a foreign body obstruction, a twisted stomach or intestinal tract (volvulus), a liver or gall bladder problem, an infection in the abdominal cavity (peritonitis), a gastrointestinal ulcer or some type of trauma. In some cases, a herniated disc can look like abdominal pain. My best advice to you is to get him seen by a vet immediately. Like I said, there isn't a lot you can do at home for any of these issues. You can try something like Gas-x in case it is related to some bloating. Enteric coated aspirin is the only human OTC pain medication that is somewhat safe for dogs, but it can still cause gastrointestinal problems, including bleeding, so it is a risk giving it in a situation like this. Sometimes a warm compress over the abdomen helps as well. i am just concerned that something serious is going on here, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Tytus is doing and to see if you have any other questions.