Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a hounddog mix bred that has not been eating or

Customer Question

I have a hounddog mix bred that has not been eating or drinking much fir five days. He has thrown up but not a lot. He had parvo at 12 weeks and ge is three now. He is listless and lethargic which is not lije him at all. He still gets up and smiles at me and wags his tail and the light is still in his eyes. But he is so thin now. It is the fifth day if this and he is throwing up green , dark green with little black dots like pepper in it. None of my other dogs are sick . I have had allergy issues with one if his brothers but that is it. His name is ***** ***** ge has had a sensitive tummy his whole life. Ge doesn't have fever and his membranes are moist. I put water in his mouth with my hand just by letting it drop off my fingers. He will take
little drinks. But that is it. What could it be abd what else can I do? I have made him some plain white rice. Is there anything I can put on it that would make him feel better???
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stripes?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I haven't received an answer yet!!
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Sorry no one has gotten to you yet. I am just logging on and seeing your question. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. My concern is that there is more of a serious medical issue going on there that can't be easily rectified at home. My first thought is that he may have a foreign body obstruction. It could be a partial obstruction, which will allow some stuff to go through. If the vomit or his breath smell like garbage, that is definitely a possibility. He may also have a pancreatic, liver, gall bladder, stomach ulcer or parasitic issue to name a few. The black dots make me concerned that this is a bleeding lesion in the stomach or small intestinal tract. That could be trauma, a foreign body, an ulcer, a mass or severe inflammation. You can try something like Pepcid or Prilosec (2.5 mg per 5-10 lbs of body weight daily), but that is about it as far as safe human OTC medications go. You can try to see if he will eat some boneless, skinless chicken breast or canned dog food, but at 5 days out like this, my best advice is to get him to your vet tomorrow to get an exam, blood work and potential x-rays done; so it can be treated before it gets beyond treatment. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Hound dog is doing and to see if you have any other questions.