How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 30294
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 25lb dog at 2 dark chocolate Hershey kisses. Should I

Customer Question

My 25lb dog at 2 dark chocolate Hershey kisses. Should I worry?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She seems fine but she ate 2 dark chocolate Hershey kisses. Should I worry?
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

No. She ingested 10 grams (1/3 ounce) of dark chocolate. It would take ~ 8 ounces of pure dark chocolate to intoxicate a 25 lb dog with the theobromine in chocolate which can cause vomiting, agitation, and tremors. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but she wasn't intoxicated. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.