Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 3.5 yr old Weim ate coffee grounds this afternoon. What

Customer Question

My 3.5 yr old Weim ate coffee grounds this afternoon. What is the danger?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Is there someone who can supply that answer?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How many hours ago did he eat this?

How much did he have?

How is he just now?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He ate the grounds around 4pm. He seems fine right now
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

Now your time zone wasn't listed, so I cannot see how long ago that was. Still we do need to tread with care since coffee grounds are always risk. Mild ingestions can upset the gut but larger ones can cause agitation, changes to the heart/breathing rates, temors and seizures.

Now if that was <2 hours ago, we'd be best to induce vomiting to get this back up and out of the stomach. To induce vomiting at home, you can give 3% hydrogen peroxide orally. The dose is 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want it in. Afterwards, get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then we can repeat the dose twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that Apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered to just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse signs.

Otherwise, if it has been more than 2 hours but less than 8 hours, then we'd use activated charcoal. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs for 24 hours. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to offset any GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and can be given every 12 hours. Of course, double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, we can see signs within 12 hours of their eating this. So if he recently had it then it may be too early for signs and again the signs are dose dependent. So, if he had a bit we can just treat for gut upset. Otherwise, if he had quite a bit, we are best to use the above options to block absorption to reduce that risk. Else if we did see signs then we'd need him to see his vet for fluids to flush this out of his system and avoid harm.

Just in case you need a local ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )