Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had whelps suddenly appear. They emerged very quickly…

My dog had whelps...

My dog had whelps suddenly appear. They emerged very quickly and the spread has stabilized. My dog seems to be in good spirits, doesn't scratch at the whelps, continues to be playful and engaged and has plenty of energy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Roxi, a Chihuahua almost five

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxi?

She has sensitive skin. I bathe her with oatmeal shampoo. In fact, I bathed her after I saw the whelps emerge thinking she'd gotten into some ants or gotten exposed to some chemical.

5/14/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if you are seeing welts on her skin, we'd be concerned that she may be allergic to something she has been in contact with. Therefor,e further to the oatmeal shampoo, you can consider trying her with an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). Of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And if her signs linger despite this, then we'd want her vet to check her as we may need her on a strong long acting steroid to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.