Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She ate approx 3 honeysuckle flowers about 1/2 hour ago. she

Customer Question
She ate approx 3 honeysuckle...
She ate approx 3 honeysuckle flowers about 1/2 hour ago. she is a 6 lb Chihuahua. gave 1/2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide about 10 mins ago. no symptoms. no vomiting yet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chiquita
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chiquita?
Customer: No pretty healthy
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Still has not vomited. Should I be worried?
Can't wait a day. Please help.
How soon should I see symptoms if it's going to bother her?
5/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

At Chiquita's size, it would be unlikely that we would see symptoms. Typically the more major symptoms occur when pets eat copious amounts of honeysuckle. If any symptoms occur, it's likely to be nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. I have shared directions below should you see any of those symptoms. If they do occur and persist, please see your vet. Also, if you did not use a fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide (unopened and brand new) this may be why vomiting was not induced. This does not often work with bottles of peroxide that have been previously opened.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. For pets avoiding taking medication readily, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Chiquita?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse