Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My shelties accidentally got a hold of a pork rib bone and

Customer Question

Hello my shelties accidentally got a hold of a pork rib bone and ate it he is now gagging a lot and threw up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A six-year-old sheltie
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes my six-year-old dog
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Blue Jasper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jasper?
Customer: Afterword and after he ate the bone way then we went to the park and he was running hard
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know that bone are not good for dogs and I am worried that it is hurting his stomach for that he's having problems he threw up this morning and he doesn't act like himself
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What are some of the signs that I should be looking for to take him in to the vet . Or should I just watch him thinking he could play at the park and run
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

When did he eat the bone? How many times has he vomited? Is he still eating and drinking as usual?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He ate the bone last night about 8 o'clock he's only thrown up once this morning but he kept gagging like it was trying to cough something up and after he had ate the bone I didn't think about it and I took him to the park and he ran and I know that sometimes their intestines can twist in the bone can splinter so I was wondering if I will be seeing Side effects from that already. It's been about an hour and a half since he's throwing up this morning and he seems to be fine right now what should I watch for if he does have a twisted intestine or splinters from the bone

Okay got it. There are two concerns with eating a bone.

1. A splinter could puncture the gi tract and cause internal bleeding and infection.

Monitor his gum color should be a healthy pink and moist. If the gums become pale, he becomes very lethargic, or there is blood in the vomit or stool then he may have internal bleeding.

2. He could develop a gastrointestinal blockage. Signs would be lots of vomiting, not eating, pain on abdominal palpation, and lethargy.

Normally the signs happen in the first few days after eating the bone. The stomach acid can digest the bone so you may not see it in the stool.

The bone can cause a problem down the road but it usually happens in the first week.

I would give him a stomach acid reducer and see if that stops the gagging.

Pepcid AC 10mg tablets or Zantac 75mg tablets.

1/4 of a tablet per 10-15 pound of dog every 12 hours.

How does that sound? Do you have any other questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby