Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

She is a dachshund that is 11 years old. We noticed that she

Customer Question

She is a dachshund that is 11 years old. We noticed that she was losing weight and I took her to our veterinarian who is wonderful and she had lost 4 lbs in a couple of months. He suspected that she could have diabetes so he drew blood and it was confirmed by her glucose level was 445. He said that she was going to need to go on insulin shots which he gave her one today. He said she should get to feeling better after the shot, but all she wants to do is sleep. She's very lethargic and I have woken her up a couple of times, but she won't stay awake. I'm worried that this is not what I was expecting her to be like after the shot.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dachshund. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dachshund?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

My diabetic patients are refractory to insulin initially. I don't even check their blood glucose until a few days of twice daily insulin is given. Your vet was a bit optimistic but you should see progressive improvement as the days pass. Can you tell me how much your dog weighs and how many units and which type of insulin was given, please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She weighed 21 lbs, but today she weighed 17. He gave her Vetsulin 40 units per mL

Thank you. That's the concentration of Vetsulin. Do you know how many units were given, please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He gave her just the one shot.

Yes, and that one shot contains a certain number of units of insulin. Were you to continue injecting her tonight and then at 12 hour intervals?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He said to give her a shot in the morning after she eats and then a shot on Sunday morning after she eats and then I am to bring her to his office on Monday morning and leave her all day so he can randomly draw blood and monitor her.

Thank you. Please tell me how many units or ml you've been directed to give. You should be able to read that on the syringe if the syringes are already filled for you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's a U-40 syringe. He said to put insulin in to the 4 mark which is two lines below 5. I'm hoping that's what you need.

Thank you. You've given a small dose. Her behavior indicates such a small dose and she's also refractory to insulin at this stage in her regulation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1/2 cc volume. 0.5mL 28G gauge. 12.7mm. This is the information on the syringe box

You've given 4 units which is the initial recommended dose for that insulin for a dog of your doxi's weight. It's a small dose unlikely to be enough which explains her not responding positively. Continue as directed by her vet. You'll see progressive improvement as the dose is increased. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. I will follow up with my vet.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for putting up with me. I needed to confirm that she wasn't being overdosed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Have a blessed night!

I'll do my best. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.