Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has vomited four times over the last two days and

Customer Question

My dog Russell has vomited four times over the last two days and does not want to eat although he has had water. I took him to my vet who ran some blood test and x-rays and she says he has both an in large liver and an in large spleen. She is recommending getting an abdominal ultrasound to rule out cancer versus infection. What causes an in large liver and what causes an enlarged spleen? Who seemed healthy up until two days ago.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Don't see the down arrow
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Two days ago Russell was not himself usually he is very active and happy and running through the backyard. He is a ***** ***** who is nine years eight months old. Two days ago he was listless his tail between his legs didn't want to eat sleeping a lot not interested
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Russell. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Russell?
Customer: The vet told me that he had and a large liver and an in large spleen and she recommended getting an abdominal ultrasound to rule out cancer an infection. What causes an enlarged liver and in large spleen his heart seems fine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What could possibly have caused this?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello, still waiting for a reply.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, lymphoma and tick-borne infections such as from Ehrlichia and Anaplasma are important considerationa when both hepatomegaly and splenomegaly exist. Can you upload a copy of all of Russell's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Dr. Salkin ,
Thank you for reaching out to me. I truly appreciate it. I am unable to provide you with Russell's test results because I haven't received them due to the fact that Russell was kept overnight so that he could receive fluids because he was dehydrated probably due to the fever. Russell was given radiographs\x-rays and blood test checking his CBC/electrolytes , Cam 17 clip/ Laser Cyte and Lyte 4 Screen . I will be picking them up
tomorrow at 11 AM .I'm making arrangements to get an ultrasound of his abdomen taken. I'm in the process of trying to find a facility or vet clinic that can provide it for him at a fee that I pray I can afford since I understand that they can be quite costly and I am on a limited budget since I am recovering from a second stroke and not working presently. I will do everything I need to do to make sure Russell receives the best care.
After the abdominal ultrasound is done what other tests do you believe should be done regarding his enlarged liver and enlarged spleen? Any idea what may have caused them to become enlarged since no mention has been made regarding his heart or any problems in regards ***** ***** heart.

I understand. Additional diagnostics would be predicated upon what's found in the ultrasound. We both need to wait for the results of that imaging. As mentioned earlier: "To answer you directly, lymphoma and tick-borne infections such as from Ehrlichia and Anaplasma are important considerations when both hepatomegaly and splenomegaly exist." I'd be pleased to review his test results for you once you obtain them and upload them to our conversation. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so very much Dr. Salkin.
I would be very grateful for your opinion as to what other steps I can take once I receive and share the test results with you.

You're quite welcome. I'll look forward to your next post.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you again and good night.

.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

(moderator: please leave this conversation open)