Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My, austrialiaa shepard, yes, she cant pup, she is not able

Customer Question

my
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: austrialiaa shepard
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the animal?
Customer: she cant pup
JA: Where does the pup seem to hurt?
Customer: she is not able to go ,she tries but it hurts too much anznothing comes out.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the pup's name and age?
Customer: much pain.
JA: How old is much?
Customer: 2years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about much?
Customer: she is in much pain when she trys to go to the bathroom it hurts!!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I apologize that the auto-history collection app struggled to get a history from you. Though from what I read, it sounds like she has pain trying to pass stool and may be constipated. If that is the case, we can start some supportive care to help with that. So, as long as she hasn't eaten anything harmful and caused herself a blockage; we can try some steps at home. To start, you can give her cow's milk. We do find that milk can be helpful at getting things moving along if she has mild constipation. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum.

Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or mineral oil orally. If she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). Again as GI lubricants, they can just get things moving with more regularity. And these may be best if she is very sore when going.

Furthermore, if this is a common issue for her , then you can mix some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). I would also advise encouraging her to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure that she has fresh water and you can even offer low salt chicken broth if she won’t drink.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal and urinary output (just to make sure her urination isn't the issue). If you try the above but are not seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or she begins to vomit, show belly pain, or worsens, then we'd want a check with her vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation) to clear them out.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.