Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have an eight week old Great Pyrenees puppy with diarrhea

Customer Question

I have an eight week old Great Pyrenees puppy with diarrhea she is otherwise fine but there is some blood in it. She is adjusting to a new diet in her new home as she just arrived here a few days ago. I have given her plain yogurt but was wondering if I should also give her a dose of Sulmet and if so what the dose should be? I have the liquid drinking water solution12.5 percent and she weighs approx 16 lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ursula
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ursula?
Customer: No she is active and has a good appetite. She just gobbled down the yogurt.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, since Ursula's signs do fit with a few different issues, it is not advisable to treat for coccidia without having a stool sample tested unless you know it is an problem with her litter/breeder. This is because we can do more harm than good if we start treating blindly. So, since her signs also support inflammatory colitis from the new diet/stress, bacterial colitis (from bacteria like E.coli, Campylobacter, Salmonella, etc), Giardia, as well as coccidia; we'd be better taking a more gentle approach while having a sample submitted to her vet (she doesn't even need to be seen for that).

As you do so, you can start some supportive care. If she is very loose, then you an use an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

As well, fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. And if this is an inflammatory colitis from the new diet and her life changes causing stress; that may be all we need to settle her. Otherwise, again a stool sample would be best to be checked since that would tell you what is triggering this and whether we should be using Sulmet or if something else would be better for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )