Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our america eskimo has been tramatised by to large dogs. vet

Customer Question

our america eskimo has been tramatised by to large dogs. vet treated him but he has constipation badly. any home remedies?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Teddy is 2 yrs 6 mo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Teddy?
Customer: a very active eager to play and run but has slowed down since his encounter
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now we do need to tread with care. If there is any chance Teddy has eaten something non-edible, has belly pain or vomiting; then we'd want him seen urgently.

Otherwise, for constipation, there are a few home care treatments we can try. To start, you can offer a cup of cow's milk. The lactose in milk can be helpful at increasing gut movement to get stools passed. Another option would be OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) as it works to lubricate the gut to facilitate the movement of gut contents (hard feces in this case) out of the rectum.

If we need a more aggressive treatment, we can also give Teddy a few milliliters of a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil) orally. These can be mixed into his food. Though if you have to give this via syringe, do so with care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Furthermore, we can also try adding fiber (ie canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil mixed into a bit of canned food) to his diet. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. We offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage him to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure he has fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth if he won’t drink.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal and urinary output. Though if we use the above measures, but if you aren't seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or he begins to vomit, show belly pain, or worsens, then they should be evaluated by a vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )