Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My one & a half year old Malshi ate a nylon stocking (calf

Customer Question

My one & a half year old Malshi ate a nylon stocking (calf length) two days ago. How long will it take to pass?
JA: I'm trying to find the right Veterinarian for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: Ok
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Isabelle, but we call her Izzy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Isabelle?
Customer: She seems to be fine. Eating and drinking normal. Pooping & peeing seems to be fine as well. Since she ate it, she's had four BMs but no luck.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Have you been checking her stool?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Normal

Please give me 5 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, typically they will pass it within 48 hours. However, some dogs may take longer. It is possible for the stocking to be obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract; this can allow food to pass through and for this reason, she continues to have bowel movements. Eventually, this can lead to inflammation in the intestines leading to necrosis (death of the tissue); when this happens is when the dog starts showing symptoms like vomiting, lethargic, anorexic, etc. This is what you can do:

1- Change her diet for the 24 hours to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the stocking in the feces.

2- If you do not see the stocking in the feces in the next 24 hours I would have her checked by your vet for x-rays with barium.

3- If at any point you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe her and change her diet as above then wean her back into her regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still there?

Yes. Did you get my response (read above)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you don't think it will pass normally?

It could, but, there is no way to predict if it will, I am sorry. I would change his diet as discussed above; if he does not pass it within 24 hours I would not wait any longer if this was my dog. I would start by taking x-rays with barium. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.