Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has been constantly swallowing, is agitated, and when

Customer Question

My dog has been constantly swallowing, is agitated, and when I try to take him out, all he wants to do is eat grass! I have taken him out several times and he obsessed with eating grass only! Help?!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harry, and he's 3 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harry,?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Eating nondigestible greens appears to be of evolutionary benefit because it often results in vomiting which then rids the stomach of nondigestibles and infectious agents. When dogs do so, then, we suspect that they feel the need to empty themselves and correct the nausea, cramping, or gastroesophageal reflux (GERD, acid reflux, heartburn) they're experiencing. Administering an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg per pound of body weight to Harry can be helpful. It can be repeated in 12 hour intervals if need be. Over the counter omeprazole (Prilosec) is also a good choice when dosed at 20 mg once daily but takes longer to take effect than does famotidine.

If symptoms persists in spite of antacid therapy, Harry's vet will want to take a look at him. Most causes of Harry's behavior aren't dangerous and gastrointestinal distress is transient but there are more serious conditions that might require his vet's attention. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.