Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Remember me from last time? Was asking about chelsea, which

Customer Question

Hey Rebecca, remember me from last time? Was asking about chelsea, which had knee pains. Anyways we have send her to second and third opinion, and she has been diagnosed with Luxating Patella. Last time her right back feet limps, and now her left back feet seems to be limping when walking. The doctors recommended surgery.Can you advise on Luxating Patella and the difficulty and risk of surgery? The vet here seems to not be confident in doing surgery citing complicated surgery.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Hi Randy. It looks like the Expert you were wanting to speak with is not available. Do you want help from someone else? If so, I'll be happy to assist. Otherwise, I'll opt out. Let me know what works best for you.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Rebecca. Surgery for luxating patellas is not something I personally do. I usually send them to a surgery specialist, and these dogs do well after surgery. The risks would be minimal: there can be anesthesia complications but that is rare with good monitoring, or of course the surgery might not be successful depending on the experience of the surgeon.

Is there a surgery specialist you could be referred to?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

How is Chelsea doing? I have not heard back from you. Please let me know if my answer was helpful and if I can help with anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Kindly consider rating my answer if this was helpful, so the website knows I assisted you.