Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My maltese has been having blood in her anal sac. I don't

Customer Question

My maltese has been having blood in her anal sac. I don't know why. Shes happy, no temp but this morning it was dried on her bottom. Shes 6 years old and acts like a puppy. I walk her 3 and 4 times a day and I always clean her eyes and her anus with a baby wipe
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: On her foot?
JA: What is the Maltese's name?
Customer: Tink
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tink?
Customer: Shes on regular heart worm medication and flea and tick but we live in the suberbs. She always walks with me on a leash We just came back from Texas and she had to be groomed there because my sisters grass had small burs in it like baby burdox
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- I am a bit confused where exactly is the blood coming from; is the anal sphincter or is she having problems with her anal sacs (glands)?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?