Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My puppy is four months and he ate a slice of raisin bread

Customer Question

My puppy is four months and he ate a slice of raisin bread is he gonna die?? He's throwing up now?? What should I do??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago } ?
2. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds } ?
3. Can you estimate how many raisins may have been in this one slice ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He ate the bread roughly around 8:25 PM. There was probably a couple of tiny raisins in the bread. Prince is 4 months and weighs around 30 lbs

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Prince is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Actually two raisins is way below any toxic level so there are no special measure you need take, your dog should be just fine as far as raisin toxicity goes. Of course he may have contracted an upset tummy from the unaccustomed rich bread or some other reason.

2. You see the lowest documented toxic dose for raisins ingestion in the dog I have found via the literature is 0.1 oz of raisins per kg of the dogs body weight. And on average as a conservative estimate 25 raisins weigh one ounce. Your dog weighs 13.6 kg which works out as around 20 raisins being the toxic dose in your dog's case. So really, no cause for concern.

3. As far as the vomiting goes there are some things you can try. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

4. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

5. Of course if the vomiting continues or become further concerned then you should have a vet check your dog over. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Prince's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for the fast response and information

No problem, glad to be advising you, please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Prince is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the raisin bread ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott