Dog Veterinary

My 12 year old Brussels is keeping weight off her front leg…

My 12 year old...

My 12 year old Brussels griffin is keeping weight off her front leg and limping a bit. She's had some issues in the past with her front paw, but this evening, her belly is hard and shaking on one side only. She's been eating and going potty fine. No coughing or vomiting. A bit more loose stool than usual,... Read full answer

My 12 year old Brussels griffin is keeping weight off her front leg and limping a bit. She's had some issues in the past with her front paw, but this evening, her belly is hard and shaking on one side only. She's been eating and going potty fine. No coughing or vomiting. A bit more loose stool than usual, but not really diarrhea. She seems to be resting now, but there is still a shake and a hardened belly - can't tell if it's pain or something worse. She's a tough dog, so she rarely alerts us to pain. Just trying to determine if I need to take her to the emergency vet tonight or let her rest and see how she is in the morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She has hip dysphasia and we recently got a puppy who really likes to play hard.

5/12/2017
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is she pacing or having trouble getting comfortable tonight?

Is she having trouble going up and down the stairs?

Is she having any trouble jumping up onto anything?

Stairs aren't great. She doesn't jump on anything anymore. She's sleeping seemingly comfortably now, but there is still a shake in one side of the stomach.

Thank you for the additional information.

Does she seem like she is having any trouble or labored breathing?

Within disturbing her too much can you look at the color of her gums to see if they are pale or pink?

Gums look pink and normal. Breathing is slightly shorter than normal, but that's how she's been breathing mostly now that she's older.It's only the right side of her stomach that's shaking. Below the rib cage toward her rear end.I thought when she went to sleep the shaking would stop and her stomach would loosen a bit. I though the stomach was hard possibly from pain - a pulled muscle or back issue. But she's snoozing now and the shaking is less, but the belly still seems tense or hard - I can't tell.

Thank you again for the reply.

I am sorry to hear that she is shaking on one side of her stomach and is more tense in her belly then normal. Without examining her determining the exact cause of her symptoms is going to be difficult. Shaking on one side of her belly could be caused by a muscle spasm, pain radiating from a pinched nerve in her back or even a bulging disc that is putting pressure on the nerves in her back. Since she is not showing any other symptoms these would be the most likely causes based on what you are describing.

Pain can be difficult to evaluate in dogs as many are quite tough. True signs of pain would be any limping, tenseness of any muscles, showing hesitation to move around as much, having trouble getting up, and pacing or having trouble resting comfortably. Therefore she could be showing some signs of pain tonight. The best way to rule out any pain would be to get her examined tonight by an emergency vet.

If she is resting comfortably tonight you could wait until morning though if her symptoms continue to get worse or she cannot rest comfortably I would definitely take her to a vet tonight.

Hope this helps - please feel free to reply. If you do not have any more questions please select a rating if possible.

Thanks,

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Thank you. That confirms my suspicions. I will watch her closely tonight and appreciate the confirmation.

You are very welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Matt
She's doing great, thanks! It think she either pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve?? But she rested all night and then again the entire next day. She seems all back to normal! We're just being tougher on the puppy not to jump on her. Thanks again!
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
When she jumped off the couch yesterday, she slid and now
When she jumped off the couch yesterday, she slid and now shes having a hard time walking … read more
DocPaul
DocPaul
We have a senior Chihuahua mix, exact age unknown because
We have a senior Chihuahua mix, exact age unknown because she is a stray rescue dog. She suddenly started favoring her hind left leg and won't use it to walk at all...she will, however, put her weight… read more
DocPaul
DocPaul
My dalmador is normally very happy and high energy. I think
My dalmador is normally very happy and high energy. I think he may have jumped off the couch and hurt himself because he is not wagging his tail, he is hiding under the coffee table and is growling an… read more
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
I have an American Black Labrador 3years old. Female. She
Hi. I have an American Black Labrador 3years old. Female. She must of stepped into something sharp. Her right front Paw is a bit Swollen and she doesn't Walk on it. It is Sunday and I just noticed thi… read more
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Veterinarian,
My dog was running and now has been limping for two days.
My dog was running and now has been limping for two days. Looks like her hips are hurting her. If she walks a little bit they seem to loosen up some. She still has appetite and wants to play.… read more
DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive
Independent Contractor,
My cat is limping after the groomer said she think she tore
My cat is limping after the groomer said she think she tore a nail. She was bleeding at the groomer. The groomer sealed it with a liquid bandage and she was not limping yesterday when she came home. S… read more
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt
Veterinarian,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My one-year-old Sheltie, who weighs a mere 10.5 pounds, has
My one-year-old Sheltie, who weighs a mere 10.5 pounds, has been limping on her right front leg for one week. No whimpering or signs of pain other than the limp. Have checked nails, pads, between toes… read more
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Emergency/Critical Care Veterinarian,
My toy poodle is 6 years old and just recently Ive noticed
My toy poodle is 6 years old and just recently I've noticed she seems to have trouble walking. She seems stiff legged. Especially her hind legs. She seems to be having trouble climbing the curves on t… read more
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene
Veterinarian,
My dog is licking and pulling at his left front paw. He doesnt
My dog is licking and pulling at his left front paw. He doesn't want us to touch it and he is limping. He can straighten it out, and we felt for anything that could be poking him but felt nothing. His… read more
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Emergency Veterinarian,
Dog has had severe allergies for over a year she is two. We
Dog has had severe allergies for over a year she is two. We think its food but never tested, she is a puggle. Her reactions are hot spots on belly and elbows, under front limbs, red ears, severe itchi… read more
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Veterinarian,
Ok, I have an appt tomorrow. She seems much better today, more
Ok, I have an appt tomorrow. She seems much better today, more alert and wanting to play. I amthinking the problem is in her hind legs. I've noticed it hard for her to go up stairs and when she sits s… read more
Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove
Relief veterinarian,
i have a 12 year old lab....she is almost constantly panting,
i have a 12 year old lab....she is almost constantly panting, shakes at times.... i'm afraid to even ask....… read more
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt
Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
1year old maltese seems to have pain we cant locate in here
1year old maltese seems to have pain we can't locate in here upper body..slight limp, sensitive around her upper chest and neck. Stools are dark colored. She eats fine and stools aren't loose. Plays b… read more
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt
Veterinarian,
8 mth old Brussels Griffin who came up with a limp today.
I have an 8 mth old Brussels Griffin who came up with a limp today. She doesnt seem to have anything between her toes. as you know she runs alot.… read more
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
Veterinary Specialist,
My dog wont relax tonight. When I let her out to go potty
My dog won't relax tonight. When I let her out to go potty she seemed fine, but then did a little limp and shake with one of her paws once and then was fine. Now she won't relax and keeps sitting upri… read more
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee
Veterinarian,
Hope you can help us with our dear 9 1/2 yr. old rescued Greyhound
Hope you can help us with our dear 9 1/2 yr. old rescued Greyhound Kella. Back in November of 2009 she had a small growth taken out surgically which the vet found to be benign from her back left paw; … read more
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Veterinarian,
Golden Retriever: one has a short, golden coat)..80 lbs.
Hi! I have a 3 year old "Golden Lab" (Mom was Golden Retriever, Dad was Chocolate Lab, this one has a short, golden coat). She is 80 lbs. She got loose around 6 pm and a noisy white pickup hit her and… read more
Veterinarian,
I have a dog that I rescued. He is a large breed. A shepherd mix.
I have a dog that I rescued. He is a large breed. A shepherd mix. He is big. Not a mastiff I don't think. There is a shephered that looks like him but it is from Brussels. He is brindle and his muzzle… read more
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
Veterinary Specialist,