Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog had puppies 6 weeks ago. The puppies all got sick

Customer Question
with Parvo, since they are...
My dog had puppies 6 weeks ago. The puppies all got sick with Parvo, since they are staying at the vet hospital is there anything I can do for mom, she is leaking milk now.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 6 months ago
Sarah Snow
Hello! I am Dr. Snow and I can try to help you. I'm sorry to hear about the puppies - I hope they are doing well. Do you want the puppies to go back to nursing when they come home?
No they've already started on dry food before they got sick. And will be rehomed as soon as they get clean bills of health
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 6 months ago
Ok great. Are any of her mammary glands firm or red?
They are firm but not red, she is leaking though
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 6 months ago
Ok how long have the pups been away from her?
Not quite 24 hours
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 6 months ago
Ok I see. Without the puppies stimulating her she will likely dry up on her own. The main concern is mastitis which is an infection in the mammary glands. This would cause one or more of her glands to become firm reddened and hot. She would also feel sick.
Don't try to express her milk or it will just cause her to create more.
Decreasing her food to her pre pregnancy amount will also help.
There is a medication available that can be compounded to dry her up but it's usually not needed.
Please let me know how I can help further!
Dr. Snow
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 6 months ago
If this was helpful to you please kindly rate me using the stars at the top :)
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 6 months ago

How are mom and the pups doing?

Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow