Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My year old lab ate part of a plastic spoon - about 1/2 of

Customer Question

My year old lab ate part of a plastic spoon - about 1/2 of spoon part - what should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Beau - 1 yr
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Beau?
Customer: No - he's a healthy male lab who gets into mischief
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Hopefully Beau will get away with this, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ...

1. I would not worry about this too much as the chances are that this size of object will just pass through your Lab's digestive tract without problem. Good you have a larger breed dog.

2. What you could do though as a precaution is to feed your dog a few slices of bread or some mashed potato, the hope is that this will form round the plastic spoon fragment and cushion and help protect your dog's intestinal tract from any sharp edges.

3. As I said the chances are that your dog will be just fine, however there are no guarantees so look out for adverse symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia or signs of abdominal pain and of course call a local vet without delay if you become further concerned.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Beau's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. I will watch him & give him the bread/potatoes as suggested!

No problem, glad to be advising you, please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Beau is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the plastic spoon incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott